WellPreserved On-Demand: What to do with Pickles
Our latest question asked us for cooking ideas for pickles (of all kinds). I love to use them in imaginative ways (and sometimes the ideas are so obvious we missed them for years).
Here’s 10 ideas:
- Make relish on-demand. Chop up the pickled veg to create a ‘custom’ relish to go with your meal. Bonus tip: add mayo and make tartar sauce.
- Add pieces to a salad (I forget this often).
- Use the brine in your salad dressings.
- Use the brine/ pickles in a stir fry (the acid is a great touch)
- A small bit of brine can be added to spaghetti sauce (I wouldn’t use dill pickle brine for this but a brine from spicy carrots or pickled onions is awesome).
- Pickled veg or brine can be added to soups.
- Augment salsa with chopped bits of pickles (i.e. pickled onions or garlic).
- Add to sandwiches
- If your pickle was fermented (i.e. sauer kraut), you can drink the brine (its extremeley healthy) and many cultures use it as a health elixir.
- Pickles make great accessories to alcohol.
What would you add to the list?
The on-demand series of articles came from topics that users have suggested. We love your questions/ ideas/ requests and will do our best to answer them in this series of posts – feel free to add your ideas in the comments below!