Simple Sprout and Root Salad Recipe (with Egg)
Despite being the middle of winter, we’re still fortunate to have access to plenty of local greens from our local Farmer’s Market. Most of the greens (though not all) are sprouts and range from sweet to very spicy. The purple radish sprouts we used in this salad have a significant bite which allows this to be served as an entire meal if you make enough of it (as we did).
The yolk from a soft-boiled egg mixes into the salad dressing to add a lot of body to the dressing. Once the dish is assembled taste it; you should taste a hint of salt and a slight tang from the vinegar. If there’s no tang, add a bit more vinegar until there is (this will balance the taste of the yolk).
Winter Sprout Salad Recipe – Ingredients
- 4 cups mixed sprouts (we used purple ones from radishes and green ones from broccoli)
- 3 soft boil eggs (bring eggs to room temperature under running water before adding them to already boiling water; remove and cool immediately after 5 minutes, 15 seconds)
- Carrots (I used 6), cut into matchsticks
- Radishes (I used 2), cut into matchsticks
- Pickled hot peppers, chopped into small pieces (optional)
- Cheese (I peeled pieces of old cheddar using vegetable peeler)
- Juice of 0.5 lemon
- Olive oil (2-3 tablespoons)
- Apple cider vinegar (a quarter the volume of olive oil; 0.5-0.75 tablespoons)
- 0.5-1 tablespoons of tahini (you can use smooth peanut butter if you don’t have tahini on hand)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Winter Sprout Salad Recipe – Instructions
- Mix lemon juice, cider vinegar, olive oil and tahini/peanut butter together.
- Toss everything together – including the runny yolk that will run across your cutting board when you cut it.
- Wait 15 minutes.
What are your favorite sprouts?