Salad Dressing Recipe: Vinaigrette with Jam
Over the last few years we’ve found that a key to enjoying our pantry is to find diverse ways to use the flavors it provides. We’ve used jam to glaze meats, make cocktails, sweeten smoothies and played with various salad dressing recipes (including a very standard strawberry jam vinaigrette).
We used strawberry jam for this recipe but any jam could be used in its place as the other ingredients are fairly neutral.
Last nights winder salad incorporates tahini to emulsify it. Emulsifying simply means to incorporate the oil and vinegar into one sauce as opposed to a separated dressing. Here is a picture of our salad (it used plenty of winter ingredients yet brought the flavours of summer into our dreary winter evening):
Salad Dressing Recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons jam
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 0.25-1 lemons
- 0.5-1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste). It is the secret of incorporating the oil and vinegar. You could use mustard but tahini is preferred as it’s more neutrally flavoured).
- healthy pinch of salt (we used our homemade chili salt but you can use kosher salt and hot pepper flakes if you don’t have any)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- Pepper to taste
Salad Dressing Instructions
- Add the vinegar and salt to a bowl and stir until the salt is dissolved (to learn why this is important read this tip on making salad dressing)
- Add the oil and tahini to the bowl. Emulsify by vigorously stirring with a whisk (you can use a fork but it will be more work) or an immersion/ stick blender. When the sauce is a single consistency, mixing is complete. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients other than lemon and pepper. If you are not using a hand mixer, consider mashing the strawberry jam with a fork to make it more liquid.
- Taste your dressing (best done with a piece of the lettuce or vegetable you will be serving with it). It should be tangy – add pepper and lemon until it reaches the desired tang!
Strawberry Jam Salad Dressing Recipe Serving Ideas
Not sure what works with this? Here’s what was in our salad:
- Mixed lettuce (still available from organic greenhouses desipte the cold weather we’ve been suffering from!)
- 2-3 slices of onions, chopped very fine
- 0.5 green pepper, also chopped very fine
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1.5 cups chickpeas (you could replace this with 0.25 cups of nuts)
- 3 small carrots, cut small
What type of jam would you use and what would you put in your salad?