These quick pickled beets are similar to our recipe on quick pickled carrots (fermented) earlier in the week though the technique is a little different. They were very tasty but I’d use purple beets (assuming I had them) next time in order to avoid the darkening you see near the bottom of the jar in the photo below.
These are great recipes to learn to ferment since they are very quick to complete and you can experiment with small batches!
These can be eaten right away but they are even better after a few days. When complete you can boil the brine to use it again (top up with a few tablespoons of additional mirin if you do so).
How to Pickle Beets– the Ingredients
- 2 pounds (or more) or less of beets(peeled and sliced or cut into matchsticks)
- 1 cup of water
- 0.5 cup brown mirin (rice wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 24 black peppercorns
How to Pickle Beets– the Instructions
- Combine the salt and the sugar.
- Mix beets with salt and sugar, place in a jar and cover loosley with a clean cloth in a warm spot in your kitchen.
- Allow beets to six for 6-8 hours (mix them from time-to-time)
- Place water, mirin and peppercorns on high heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove peppercorns, pour liquid over beets.
- Store in fridge!
These are great as a side dish, condiment or salad. What would you use them for?