It’s Tomato Sauce Preparation Day!
We’ve changed our format for canning tomatoes slightly this year – my parents, Dana and I have decided to split the work of canning all 8 bushels over two days. While it was possible to do all 8 bushels in a long day for the four of us, this will allow a bit more of a relaxed pace and more family time together.
Therefore, today is officially prep day!
What happens on preparation day? Here’s what we’ve done today:
- My folks got a jump n the work by making the first 2-2.5 bushels into sauce. We arrived later in the day (on to jar and water bath it).
- We cleaned the rest of the tomatoes (which have been spread out on a tarp in the garage for the last few days to help ripen further; this increases our yield).
- All of our jars were washed.
- Herbs are harvested and processed; as is the garlic.
- All of the equipment has been tested, cleaned and is ready to go.
Tomorrow morning we’ll be up early cutting and processing tomatoes. It’s gonna be a crazy day! We’ll have some photos streaming out to the Facebook group as we make progress (you’ll find that here). If you’re looking for more information on preserving tomatoes, check out our tomato canning archive which has everything you need to know (and more) on preserving tomatoes!