How to Make Mayonnaise in 30 Seconds or Less
I used to be scared of making mayonnaise. It would take 10 minutes or longer as I slowly drizzled olive oil into a food processor. The entire process was stressful as I was worried I’d add it too fast and waste a tonne of oil.
And I did. I have wasted a few liters of olive oil over the years trying to make mayonnaise. Maybe you’re experience was different – but mine was next to slapstick. It wasn’t fun at all.
Then my world changed. I learned how to make mayonnaise in less than 30 seconds (if you include getting the ingredients out and measuring them, it’s less than 2 minutes from beginning to end.
There is no need to drizzle the oil in! Just use an immersion blender, add all of your ingredients and pull upwards. I ended up processing this mayo for an additional 5 seconds after the video was shot and it’s thick, creamy and fabulous. I’ve been told that using a small jar is a big help so I use a 2-cup jar to make 1 cup of mayo.
A giant thanks to our friend, Chef Kristen Donovan of Hooked who shared the idea with me. I had no idea!
Here’s the recipe (you can make variations easily):
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 teaspoons of Dijon (or other mustard)
- Juice of 0.25-0.5 lemons
- Salt to taste (I used a smoked salt)
- Approximately 1 cup of olive oil
- Chili flakes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a small container (it must have enough room to fit the blender)
- Use a stick blender to incorporate, as in the video. We have a whisk blade that makes this even easier but any blade will work. Mix until desired consistency is reached.
- Add remaining ingredients and fold into mayo.
What are your favorite flavors to add to mayonnaise?