Thank you to all who came out to HomeEcNight last night! We had an amazing time and hope that each of you did as well!
What is HomeEcNight? It’s our monthly (and sometimes more frequent) pop-up. Each event has a theme; last night we had a pickle theme. Participants packed into Toronto’s HiLo bar and celebrated everything pickled!
Some of the highlights:
- Our sponsors from the Leslieville Farmers Market handed out market dollars, chatted about the market and even had a bunch of pickle trivia (I learned that ‘Peter Poivre’ was the real name of Peter Piper!)
- Our friends from Thomas Lavers, Pyramid Ferments and Alchemy Pickle Company brought an amazing range of pickled things. Sauerkraut, kimchi, hot sauce, kombucha, pickled turnips and pickled cauliflower (unfortunately Manning Canning was sick; but we’ll find room for her again in the future!).
- Hi-Lo made amazing sandwiches for $5 (pork belly with our fermented slaw) and made cocktails with kombucha; there were also a plot of pickle backs (a shooter of booze followed by a shot of pickle brine)
My two biggest highlights were:
- The crowd of people who packed into the bar and were so willing to taste anything and everything. The bar was jam-packed for a while (because we want to keep these events free it’s difficult to control numbers; we had more than 100 people show up over the course of the evening last night) and people were graceful, chatting with strangers and totally geeky for pickles (as am I)! It was so great to hear so much excitement from people and we consistently heard from attendees that they had met other people and were having a blasé chatting about pickles!
- Watching friends who work so hard to get the word out about what they do have a chance to share their product with others. It was just a riot to watch them share their passions and excitement for what they do!
The next event is April 30th; we’ll announce the theme soon!
I even had a few quiet moments at the end of the night to take it all in and just chill at the bar once the madness was over!
A giant thanks to all who came – you really made our night and we hope you had a great time!