Pretty much everyone loves getting your home made preserves for a gift at any time of the year. Though the holiday season is a special time to reap the rewards of all your hard work…you’ll save cash on extravagant presents and I’m willing to wager, people will LOVE YOU MORE if you gift them your preserves. But you wouldn’t show up at a party in your track pants right? So you’ll need to dress up your preserves a bit before sending them out into the world.
So it’s time to get creative and we want to reward you for doing just that. We have a signed copy of David Ort’s handsome new cookbook “the Canadian Craft Beer Cookbook” to giveaway. We will be posting a complete review of it soon, but suffice it to say you don’t need to be Canadian to love the recipes and ideas in this book. We can’t wait to dive into our copy and start making some of David’s awesome recipes.
So here’s how to enter:
- Make your jars of preserves super special, customized, spruced up for gifting (we’ll be sharing some ideas here on the site and on our special themed pinterest board.
- Snap a picture of your fine packaging
- Follow us on instagram and pinterest, so you can tag us in your post and don’t forget to use the hashtags #pimpmypreserves and #wellpreserves so we’ll see them and enter you in the draw for “the Canadian Craft Beer Cookbook! We’ll also share some of our favourites on the facebook page and on pinterest.
- Get as many likes on each of your photos as you can (each like is a ‘ballot’ to win the book).
- We’ll announce the winner in our December 22nd Newsletter and share some of our other favourites. Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss it (top right).
- We’ll share our favorites and the winning picture on our site on the 24th.
We’ll be doing a couple of posts for inspiration in the weeks before the announcement. We’ll also be sharing previous years inspiration over on pinterest too.
Matching Sets: you can look all ‘put together’ pretty easily. Just pick a simple colour scheme and group your jars together. I’m a big fan of wrapping presents in plain old Kraft paper (it’s recyclable and multi-holiday/seasonal and cheap as dirt). So I usually start with a neutral kraft base…then every year pick a different accent colour and get some little add ons…like colored paper tape (or washi tape), and some divine twine. You can design your own labels and print/photocopy them onto whatever colour of paper you want.
Or if you sign up for our newsletter, we’ll be giving a code away to download this “HomeMade For your enjoyment” printable graphics page for FREE up until the 24th. All you have to do is print it on the colored paper of your choice, cut it all out…get a bit nutty with a hole punch, some string, ribbon and/or tape and you’re ready to go.
Hopefully your gift of home made preserves will inspire others to give it a try next year (and you’ll have more friends to help in the fun). If you want to add to the gift here’s a few ideas:
- Our friend Sarah (eatlocallyblogglobally.com) wrote “We Sure Can” a few years back, it’s a classic and makes a great gift for the beginner and experienced preserver alike. We’re in there along with a recipe for our pickled garlic. It’s a great inspirational read with amazing recipes that Sarah tested and perfected.
- If you really want to get them going…how about a Canning Starter Kit?
- A nice set of empty jars can also be the push they need to put something up!
- Another book from our shelf is Jam it, Pickle It, Cure it: and other Cooking Activities by Karen Solomon
*The name is inspired by the artistry and over the top creativity of customized car culture. See MTV series“Pimp My Ride” 2004-2007. We want to bring the spirit of flashiness to your preserving. If anyone pinstripes a jar…your automatically the winner in my books.