More details on this years #pimpmypreserve2013 showcase and how you can show off your preserves at the bottom of this post.
A bottle of homemade bitters and boozy cherries makes a great gift for someone who loves cocktails (also a great host/hostess gift)! If they’re a really good friend you could buy them a bottle to go with. The bitters are super easy to make, and we just put them into a little spice jar.
Easy Peasy Bitters Recipe
- Bottle of Rye Whiskey, or Bourbon or Scotch
- small containers for gifting (this adds flavour to a cocktail so no need to make big bottles)
- array of dried fruit and spices: dried cherries or cranberries, star anise (whole! they’re so cool looking), vanilla pods, cloves
Fill the little jar about 1/4 or 1/2 with various dried fruit and spices and top up with alcohol. seal tightly and let it steep in a dark place. Give it a shake every couple of days or so and in about 2 weeks gift it…or use it to make an awesome Manhattan. Garnish those with a boozy cherry and you’ve got a party.
The cherry recipe can be found here. Mark these in your calendar to make for next cherry season…they’re a hit and they last for ages. You could also give them a jar of your Rumptoff if you’ve been making that too.
The office supply store can hold a wealth of potential things for decorating jars. These gold foil letters were in the sign section of my local store. Just peel and stick. I also scavenge the local upholstery fabric store…they have a whole basket of little bits of leftover leather. All tied up here with some colorful embroidery fabric.
Some other ideas to go along with a cocktail inspired preserve gift:
- The Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining: How to Make and Drink Whiskey is on our wish list!
- So is The Drunken Botanist: The Plants that Create the Worlds Best Drinks (i’m completely in love with the cover
- Little mini Cocktail Forks are good for retrieving the cherries
- a nice vintage crystal decanter (if you love ‘em a lot), maybe with some matching rocks glasses…like this one over on Etsy
- a special ice cube tray to make BIG cubes (melt slower).
enter your own #pimpmypreserves jars to win a signed copy of David Ort’s handsome new cookbook “the Canadian Craft Beer Cookbook” to giveaway.
So here’s how to enter:
- Make your jars of preserves super special, customized, spruced up for gifting (we’ll be sharing some ideas here on the site and on our special themed pinterest board.
- Snap a picture of your fine packaging
- Follow us on instagram and pinterest, so you can tag us in your post and don’t forget to use the hashtags #pimpmypreserves and #wellpreserves so we’ll see them and enter you in the draw for “the Canadian Craft Beer Cookbook! We’ll also share some of our favourites on the facebook page and on pinterest.
- Get as many likes on each of your photos as you can (each like is a ‘ballot’ to win the book).
- We’ll announce the winner in our December 22nd Newsletter and share some of our other favourites. Make sure you subscribe so you don’t miss it (top right).
- We’ll share our favorites and the winning picture on our site on the 24th.
*The name is inspired by the artistry and over the top creativity of customized car culture. See MTV series“Pimp My Ride” 2004-2007. We want to bring the spirit of flashiness to your preserving. If anyone pinstripes a jar…your automatically the winner in my books.